Plan a visit at a WV state park when you need a getaway with your animal companion￼
With hundreds of miles of trails and dozens of mountain streams to splash in, West Virginia’s state parks and forests are a great place to visit when you’re traveling with your pet. Many of our parks and forests offer pet-friendly cabins, cottages and lodge rooms. Pet-friendly accommodations are popular, so call before you visit to make sure lodging is available. Here are seven parks to visit with your pet.
A park your pooch will love
Plan your state park or forest trip around some of your pet’s favorite activities.
Does your dog love water? He’ll be in heaven at Beech Fork State Park with its 720-acre lake and lakefront campsites.
Dogs that love to play in the snow will be at home at Canaan Valley Resort or Blackwater Falls state parks, which typically get more snowfall due to their high elevation. Both parks have a full-service lodge, cabins and campgrounds.
If you’re just out for a day trip, our day-use parks are great destinations for hiking with your pet, too. At Valley Falls State Park you can explore 18 miles of trails and discover the stone ruins of the old grist mill.
These are just a few of the adventures you and your pup – or kitty – might enjoy together. The choices are endless!
Promoting a ‘Pawsitive’ Experience
We want everyone to have a safe and happy time at our parks and forests, so here are a few rules that must be observed, as well as some handy tips:
- Dogs and cats are the only pets permitted in state parks and forests.
- Pets should be current on vaccinations and in good health.
- Guests are expected to clean up after their pets. Use a designated pet walking area if available.
- Make sure your pet’s collar has an I.D. tag with your contact information.
- Pets must be on leash and restrained.
- You are responsible for your pet’s behavior.
- When hiking, bring enough water for the both of you.
Parks offer dog-friendly activities at different times throughout the year. Check the calendar for upcoming programs.
It’s time to go bark in the park. Start planning that pup-perfect getaway today!Book Now