No summer vacation is complete without the family pet. That’s why West Virginia State Parks has set aside special cabins, cottages, campgrounds and lodge rooms so you and your family don’t have to leave your best pal behind when you stay overnight at a park or forest.
This service has become popular in recent years as the state parks system works to make stays more enjoyable for guests who may wish to travel with their pets. To West Virginia State Parks, your dog or cat (perhaps both) are part of the family and welcome during your stay.
Pet-friendly accommodations at state parks and forests are popular, so it is recommended that you call ahead to make sure a cabin, cottage camp site or lodge room are available when you want to visit.
Designated pet-friendly cabins or cottages are available at the following parks and forests:
- Beech Fork
- Blackwater Falls
- Cacapon Resort
- Canaan Valley Resort
- Cass Scenic Railroad
- Chief Logan Lodge
- Hawks Nest
- Holly River
- Lost River
- North Bend
- Pipestem Resort
- Twin Falls Resort
- Tygart Lake
Now that you know which parks and forests have pet-friendly overnight accommodations, plan to bring your pet along for your next weekend trip or family vacation.
What you need to know about pet-friendly lodging at state parks and forests
- Dogs and cats are the only pets permitted in designated pet-friendly cabins or cottages. A maximum of two pets per accommodation is permitted. A weight limit of 15 pounds per pet is enforced.
- For lodges, the charge is $25 for each pet for the first night, and $10 for each pet for each additional night, up to a maximum of $75 per visit.
- For cabins and company houses (Cass Scenic Railroad State Park), the charge is $50 for each pet for the first night and $5 for each pet for each additional night.
- A credit card is required at check-in. You will be responsible for any damages, and your credit card may be charged a minimum of $200 for any repairs or deep cleaning, if needed. Any subsequent loss of future room revenue may also be your responsibility if room reservations must be canceled due to the damage.
- Guests must clean up after their pet, including messes in the yard around the cabin or cottage. If there is a designated pet walking area in or near the cabin area, it must be used.
- Pets must be current on vaccinations and in good health. Certification of vaccinations from a veterinarian is required.
For more information about the pet-friendly accommodations and requirements, call 304-558-2764 or read the policy HERE.