7 WV state parks to visit when you need a getaway with your animal companion
With hundreds of miles of trails and dozens of mountain streams to splash in, West Virginia’s state parks and forests are a great place to visit when you’re traveling with your pet. Never taken your dog on a trip? You’re missing out! Many of our parks and forests offer pet-friendly cabins, cottages and lodge rooms. Pet-friendly accommodations are popular, so call before you visit to make sure lodging is available. Here are seven parks to visit with your pet.
West Virginia state parks with pet-friendly accommodations
Dogs that love water will be in heaven at Beech Fork State Park, where the whole lake is a playground. At North Bend State Park, the two of you can enjoy long walks on the adjacent North Bend Rail Trail. Get back to nature at Chief Logan State Park, where fields of wildflowers offer interesting things to sniff. Or explore the stone ruins of the old grist mill at Valley Falls State Park. Dogs that love to play in the snow will be at home at Canaan Valley Resort or Blackwater Falls state parks, which typically get more snowfall due to their high elevation.
These are just a few of the adventures you and your pup can have together. The choices are endless!
Promoting a ‘Pawsitive’ Experience
We want everyone to have a safe and happy time at our parks and forests, so here are a few rules that must be observed, as well as some handy tips:
- Dogs and cats are the only pets permitted in state parks and forests.
- Pets must be current on vaccinations and in good health.
- Guests are expected to clean up after their pets. Use a designated pet walking area if available.
- Make sure your pet’s collar has an I.D. tag with your contact information.
- Pets must be leashed and restrained.
- When hiking, bring enough water for the both of you. Some trails don’t have a water source nearby.
Some parks even offer dog-friendly activities at different times throughout the year. Check the calendar for upcoming programs.
It’s time to go bark in the park. Start planning that pup-perfect getaway today!Book Now