Get your family hooked on fishing by taking them to a West Virginia state park or forest. We want to encourage families and new anglers to get out and try this sport. That’s why the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources has announced spring weekend trout stockings in or near state parks and forests.
Normally, DNR doesn’t announce trout stockings so fish have time to acclimate to the water before getting fished out. But announcing Friday and Saturday stockings will give families with busy schedules more opportunities to go fishing and enjoy the many other weekend activities at our beautiful parks and forests.
Plan a fishing trip today!
For new anglers, especially kids, catching their first fish is an unforgettable experience. While getting a fish to bite requires some skill, and a little luck, casting a line in stocked waters gives you and your family a better chance to catch a fish. And let’s be honest — who doesn’t like catching a big ol’ trout?
So, you might ask: Do my kids and I need a fishing license? The good news is that kids 14 and younger do not need a license and can fish for free! Kids 15-17 must have a junior fishing license. All others must have a current West Virginia fishing license. Fishing licenses can be purchased at www.wvfish.com.
These weekend trout stockings are planned through May 19, so don’t miss out on the fun! Find a state park or forest below that is closest to you and start planning a fishing trip the whole family can enjoy. If you need overnight accommodations, many of the parks and forests below have cabins or lodge rooms. But hurry! They book up fast. Make you reservation by clicking Book Now!
Weekend Trout Stockings
- Audra State Park
- Middle Fork River (4/6, 5/4)
- Blackwater Falls State Park
- Pendleton Lake (4/2*)
- Blackwater River (4/6*, 4/20, 5/4, 5/18)
- Cacapon Resort State Park
- Cacapon State Park Lakes (4/2*, 4/21, 5/5, 5/19)
- Camp Creek State Park
- Camp Creek (4/6, 4/20, 5/4, 5/18)
- Mash Fork (4/6, 4/20, 5/4, 5/18)
- Canaan Valley Resort State Park
- Shavers Fork Bemis (4/13, 5/11)
- Chief Logan State Park
- Chief Logan Pond (5/12)
- Coopers Rock State Forest
- Big Sandy (4/13, 4/27, 5/11)
- Coopers Rock Lake (4/13, 4/27, 5/11)
- Holly River State Park
- Laurel Fork in the park (4/6, 4/20, 5/4, 5/18)
- Left Fork of Holly River (4/6, 4/20, 5/4, 5/18)
- North Bend State Park
- North Bend Tailwaters (4/2*)
- Pipestem Resort State Park
- Longbranch Lake (4/2*, 5/5)
- Seneca State Forest
- Seneca Lake (4/21, 5/5, 5/19)
- Stonewall Jackson Resort State Park
- Stonewall Jackson Tailwater (4/6*, 4/20, 5/4, 5/18)
- Sutton Trailwater (4/6*, 4/20, 5/4, 5/18)
- Burnsville Tailwater (4/6*, 4/20, 5/4, 5/18)
- Tygart Lake State Park
- Tygart Tailwaters (5/4)
- Watoga State Park
- Watoga Lake (4/2*, 4/21, 5/5, 5/19)
- Greenbrier River Marlinton (4/6)