Cass Logging Day
Logging Day at Cass is great fun. Here are some of the free activities planned. We’ll post times as the event draws closer. Spend the day and you won’t miss the fun.
• Whistle Blow: Artie Barkley, long-time locomotive engineer at Cass, will discuss and demonstrate a variety of train and other whistles at scheduled times throughout the day. Whistles are loud so ear protection is required and will be provided. What’s that you say? Please bring hearing protection if possible.
• Cass Train Rides and Runbys: The regularly scheduled train trips to Whittaker Station and Bald Knob will be running. Both will feature a “photo runby” where the train backs down the track after passengers debark and then pulls forward to provide a great opportunity to photograph the Shay in action. Paid tickets are required for the train rides. Train trip tickets to ride the Cass Scenic Railroad are purchased at www.mountainrailwv.com.
• Blacksmith Demonstrations: A local blacksmith will give demonstrations throughout the day.
• Vintage Chainsaw Display: Several unusual looking early chainsaws will be on display and there will be periodic discussions of the merits and drawbacks of these early designs.
• Artisan Craft Sales: There will be vendors selling products hand-crafted in West Virginia.
• Portable Sawmill: See how the logs are processed today for local and farm use with a small portable sawmill.
• Cass Historical Museum: The Cass Historical Museum will be open all day and there will be someone available to answer your questions about the Museum’s eclectic collection of artifacts.
• Cass Store Tours: There will be periodic tours of the normally-closed second floor and basement of the Cass store. The tour will also include the former ice plant in the back of the Visitor Center.
• Hayrides: Tractor-pulled hayrides through the town will be available throughout the day.
• Smokey Bear: Smokey will be making periodic visits throughout the day to explain good forest conservation and fire safety to the kids.
• Music: Local musicians will play traditional mountain music during the day. Music by Sugar Run Band.
• Last Run Restaurant: The Last Run Restaurant (in the Cass store) will feature logging themed meal options. Check out Last Run Restaurant on Facebook for specials and great food.
Planning an overnight stay?Book Now
- Start Date: June 29, 2019